January 14, 2013
RE: Renewal Seminar for Lay Liturgical Ministers
My dear brother priests:
On the recommendation of the Ministry for Liturgical Affairs and the Lay Formation Centre, we will now offer the renewal seminar for Readers and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion starting February 2 until May 11, 2013 at the Lay Formation Centre according to the enclosed schedule. Please be reminded of the following pastoral norms related to these two lay liturgical ministries:
1. Effective Pentecost Sunday 2014 which will fall on June 8, Readers and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion who have served for three continuous years will be obliged to take a break from their liturgical ministry and engage in other forms of lay ministry like catechesis, social action, music, greeters or other apostolates. After one year of leave from their liturgical ministry, they can return but only after going through the required formation seminars. This pastoral directive was laid in order to stress the importance of the ministry of charity and catechesis in the Church.
2. It is pastorally necessary to recruit new lay leaders in the parishes and schools in order to insure the continuous transmission of the Christian faith to future generations. Ours is a young church. We cannot allow ministries to age.
3. The new Readers must be between 13 to 30 years old and must have received full Christian initiation, i.e. baptized, confirmed and have received First Communion. If married, they must be canonically married and living exemplary Christian life. They must be fluent in Pangasinan and English.
4. The new Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion must be MALE between 25 to 50 years old and must have received full Christian initiation, i.e. baptized, confirmed and have received First Communion. If married they must be canonically married and living exemplary Christian life.
5. The annual commissioning of lay ministers in liturgy, catechesis and social action will be at the Principal Parish Mass on Pentecost Sunday, May 19, 2013 using the prescribed rites from the Ministry for Liturgical Affairs.
The registration fee for the renewal seminars for Readers and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion will be PhP250 to cover two snacks and lunch and seminar materials.
For the new Readers and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion, a two day seminar will be required before initial commissioning. They must present a letter of recommendation from the parish priest or school director and will pay the PhP250 registration fee for the two days. The parish priests are kindly requested to financially assist the youth lectors with regard to the fees considering that they are still minors without employment.
For the greeters, music ministers and altar servers, the registration fee will be only PhP150 out of pastoral consideration.
I hope you can disseminate the information ahead of time in order to give our laity sufficient time to reserve the dates in their personal schedules.
Let me reiterate the serious pastoral duty to recruit new and young Readers and Extraordinary Ministers of Holy Communion and open opportunities for Church involvement to more parishioners.
We dream of a Church renewed. Real lay empowerment is lay formation.
+SOCRATES B. VILLEGAS
Archbishop of Lingayen Dagupan
The Roman Catholic
Archdiocese of Lingayen-Dagupan
(Central Pangasinan, Philippines)